The Parks & Recreation Department has a wide range of responsibilities in the City. They maintain three parks (Fair Park, Northside Park, and the Soccer Complex) with numerous softball and baseball fields and the newly constructed soccer fields. The Parks' Department also rents two Community Centers and a Coliseum, where they set up/take down tables and chairs and clean-up for a variety of events throughout the year.
This Department is present at Fair Park during two fairs and the annual Watermelon Festival to keep things operating smoothly. There are also many events in the Arena every year that are overseen by Parks.
The Hope Municipal Airport is under the direction of the Parks and Recreation Department, along with the Hope Visitor Information Center.
Services and amenities include:
- Two public parks and one soccer park (4 fields)
- Two Community Centers available for rent
- One Coliseum with stage available for rent
- Community Auditorium (Klipsch Auditorium at City Hall) with a stage and theatre seating for ~400 guests
- One baseball field and 10 softball fields
- 7 pavilions
- Open air arena
- 3 tennis courts
- Over 200 RV hookups with water and 30 amp electric
- Swimming pool
- 2 Outdoor stages
- 11 acre fishing lake with ramp for non-motorized boats
Paul Henley is the head of the Parks Department. He began working for the City in 1969 and was named Parks, Recreation and Tourism Superintendent in 1989. There are 14 to 15 park employees under Mr. Henley's supervision. This number easily doubles during operation of the pools in the summertime.
Rates for facility rental are located on that facility's page.